Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Def Jam Artist "Rocko" Makes Stop At ASU


(Rocko and I)


"You just do you, umma do me...umma do me...umma do me..."


While many of you have already bumped the beats of these lyrics in your stereo, for those of you who have not, meet Atlanta native and Def Jam Island Records artist Rodney Hill, better known by his alias, Rocko. His hit single, "Umma Do Me," has topped Billboard charts as well as videocountdowns like BET's 106th and Park and his album, Self Made, is scheduled to hit stores March 18th.

On a stop during his Self Made promo tour in Montgomery, Ala., Rocko took out a few minutes to answer some questions about his music during an autograph signing at Alabama State University.



Me: How would you describe your music?
Rocko: "If I had to, I would say it's astronaut music 'cause it's out of space."

Me: Was there any particular reason why you wanted to be a rapper?
Rocko: "Well, at first I was cash motivated until I started writing music and realized how much people liked what I was doing. So, it went from being all about the cash to being about the craft."

Me: Growing up, who are some of the artists who inspired you?
Rocko: "When I was younger, I used to listen to west coast artists like NWA, Eazy-E and Ice Cube, but when I got a little older, I became interested in southern artists like 8Ball and MJG and the Geto Boys."

Me: Your album drops on March 18th, so do you have any collaborations people can look forward to?
Rocko: "I really wanted to keep it all me, but I do have two R&B singles with Lloyd and Monica. I also have a mixtape called Swag Season and it features some rap artists like T.I., Geezy and Rick Ross."

Me: In your opinion, why should people buy your album?
Rocko: "It's quality music and because I'm the new kid, the new voice of the south."

Me: Do you consider your music rap music that people can dance to?
Rocko: "No, I don't do novelty records. All my music is real, real music."

Me: Last question, what do you think about people who say that hip hop is dead?
Rocko: "It's up to them because I'm gonna keep doing what I do. I don't classify my music as hip hop, but instead I call it swag music, so maybe hip hop is dead."



Click the link below to visit Rocko's Official Website:
Rocko'>http://www6.islandrecords.com/site/artist_home.php?artist_id=677"


No comments: